Friday, October 24, 2008

Our Josiah

So thus far Josiah's mother cannot be located. They haven't seen one another since he was 2 weeks old when she dropped him at a friend's never to return. She raised, er.... had him, until a week before his first birthday when he was removed from her home for neglect. This was quite apparent when we got him. She sent a stroller with him. This was odd because she sent nothing else, no clothes, toys, etc. This is par for foster care, but odd that she sent the stroller. It soon became apparent shy she sent it. When this baby cried he would crawl up into his stroller. It didn't even occur to him to look for a person to console him. As soon as we realized this we put it away in the garage so we could teach him to come to a person for comfort. At first he was so confused...he would just crumble on the ground when he cried, at which point I woudl get him and love on him. It only took him a few days to realize he liked being loved. He easily learned to come to us when he needed to be comforted.

According to this lady, and his birth certificate and CYFD's investigative work, there were two possible father's. Both were contacted and we did a DNA test to get the results of...dun dun dun...dun....niether. So, no mom and no dad. CYFD just located his maternal grandmother who is raising 3 of Josiah's siblings. This was surely a surprise--he has siblings! And surely she woudl want to see him, have visits, etc. right? She had a little info for the social worker. Firstly, there is another sibling that has been adopted....younger than the 3 she has but older than J. Secondly she hasn't heard from nor does she expect toe ver hear from J's mother again. Thirdly she said somethgin like, "Oh, he is with a family who loves him and wants to adopt him? Great. Good luck to them all." No questions..no inquiries about him...no request for visits....I just can't imagine. This little boy is adorable. He is so smart and loving and fun. He is also fiesty and stubborn and sometimes he throws tantrums. I have tried not to get my hopes up-you jsut can't when youa re doing foster care. Thats not what it's about. It's jsut abtou helping where we can, when we can. But I wonder if he was sent to our family....for now...forever.

We love him so much and he loves us. He adores Allori and we are mom and dad. I can't imagine not knowing him, now that I do. I hope we get to keep him...that he gets to keep us.

They still have to look for him mother for a while and CYFD does everything slowly.

I am thankful for the blessing he is to our family. It feels like he is my baby.

This mornign at CYFD, a mother who was there visiting her baby asked, "Who are his parents." I answered, "He doesn't have any." Another foster mom who Josiah had been playing with said, "Yes she does, he has you."

4 comments:

KCordell said...

Oh, I love that little boy too. He is so adorable. I hope for you everything falls into place so he can be yours forever, for sure. You can see in his eyes he adores you and you have taught him so much.

Michelle said...

You have babies I don't know. Crap. Sometimes things are so unfair! :-(

Natalie said...

This is a CRAZY story Trisha! Just reading it fills my heart - knowing he now has "parents" who love him.

I'll be praying things work out.

The Justice Family said...

I hope you get him! He sounds like he fits in perfectly with your family. I so believe that adoption is part of the Lord's plan. Keep us updated.