Friday, August 1, 2008

Those Crazy Deli Guys....

So in preparation for the girls send off I called Smiths to order a 3 foot Sub. They have a fabulous 3 foot Sub. The bread-I don't know-its just good. I called only a few hours ahead, knowing it wasn't much notice. Here is what went down.

" Hello, I would like to order a 3 foot sandwich for today please."

"Are you the same lady who called this morning?"

"Uh, no."

" Are you Rosemary?" (No but I could be Rosemary's baby if we can't move this along.)

"No, I am Trisha."

"Oh."

"Ok, so about the sandwich...?"

"You have to order it a day and half in advance so the baker can make the bread."

"I understand but do you have a loaf of bread on hand to make the sandwich on?"

"No."

"Not any?"

"No. you have to order your sandwich a day and a half in advance."

"Ok. You don't have any bread?" (I was very sad and desperately wanted this particular comfort food.)

"I only have one footers." (Ding, ding, ding! then lets be problem solvers here!)

"Can you put three of them together and make a three footer?"

Pause. Sigh. "Alright, but next time you have to order your sandwich a day and a half in advance."

Ok, what does Mr. Deli care? If he has the bread anyway, it saves it from going bad, right?
Mr. Deli was not alone is his scheme of not wanting to work. When Wayne stopped by to pick it up Miss Deli walks to the counter and he asks for the sandwich under either his or my name and she,without going to look for his order says, "I only have one order of sandwiches and its not for you."

So Wayne calls me. I ask to talk to them, tell them how it went down. She goes to look for my sandwich and within 30 seconds comes back with said sandwich. For the love of all things Holy. I assume these people are being paid to work at the grocery and this is not a case of indentured servitude.

Here is the best part, we get home and open the three foot long box to find our three- foot long sandwiches right? No. It was a single- three foot long sandwich. The one they did not have. The one that three times Mr. Deli said they did not have. Crazy Deli guy must have glued the breads together!

(The order was of course wrong, but it still was good to have the sandwich. It was the bread I was after really.)

2 comments:

Natalie said...

You ate Rosemary's sandwich!!

Trisha said...

Possible, probably even likely, but if the lady used even a portion of the 10% available to her....LOL