Friday, August 1, 2008

Rebellious Streak




So, we have two dogs right? We got Sherah first. She is full blooded German Shepard and I had tossed around the idea of getting a dog for several months-more probably (it's a big decision ok!). Well Sherah joined our family about 15 months ago as a free rescue dog someone listed online. She rescued her from a neighbor or something and wanted a good home for her, she already had her fill of dogs. Well I was definitely interested in a German Shepherd, they are beautiful and smart dogs so I inquired. She came to us at 9 months old having been terribly abused. She cowered from everyone, would not run, cowered if you even held a dog toy in her direction, did not bark-for ANY reason, but had a very sweet personality. We loved her immediately. After a few months I could tell she had being quite content, but would still not bark, run, touch a toy, etc. She didn't know how to be a dog and those were not things we could teach her. So I wondered if she might need a well adjusted buddy. And just when I was contemplating that, another dog was listed on my online group for free. She too was a Shepherd, but she was a mix, half golden retriever. Also a great family dog and quite smart. This dogs story was that the owner had gotten a different job and had to leave her alone a lot and did not think it was fair to the pup. She was 4 years old. She brought her over to meet us. We loved her and so did Sherah. Two weeks later, the owner brought her to us for good, about a year ago. IT took just a couple of months for Taya to teach Sherah to run, to bark, to play. She is almost playing with toys now but still has some reservations. I do not know what the original owners did to her. What can you do a dog to make them not run? Not play? Not bark? All I know is it wasn't nice. I am sure there will be a special corner in Hell for them.

Anyway, back to the reason for this post. Sherah is so stinkin' funny. She is goign to get me in trouble. She likes to run down the street and around the corner. I am not sure what she does down there, she doesn't stay long. By the time I realize she is gone and I go outside to call her, she will haul but home. And boy does she look beautiful running full speed down the road.

The thing is, in Albuquerque their is a city ordinance taht your dog cannot be out of your yard without a leash. And I like to have my front door open. So I try to be really careful to keep the dogs in the backyard when I open the door, etc. but the sneaky dog likes to have her daily run down and around the corner. She always comes right back and she always looks like her day just got better. (She is spayed, so I don't think she is meeting up with a male dog and she wouldn't come back so quickly.) I really think she just likes going for a run. And I think she likes to be a little rebellious. Like owner like German Shepherd?

Beautiful, right?

(photo: Sherah)

No comments: