Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Elevator Etiquette

Seriously? Does this need to be addressed? Come on people.

Let me set the stage. You have a 4 foot by 5 foot elevator. It's empty. The doors open and in walk 3 people. One (we will call her the easily annoyed one for obvious reasons) steps to the back left corner seemingly leaving a good portion of elevator left for other patrons. The other two walk to the back and stand directly in the center of the back wall. The easily annoyed one notices and thinks this is weird that they choose to stand so close to her. She feels like it is a million degrees and desires no touching. NO touching. The closest woman to the easily annoyed one oddly steps closer to the easily annoyed one, pressing her arm against her. Weird right? So she takes a step forward leaving everyone ample room. The lady moves also...taking a large step TOWARD the easily annoyed one. I know...it's not the woman's fault that the first girl is easily annoyed. Also not her fault that she feels it's a million degrees and thinks she is so hot she may combust. All not her fault...however....Is it necessary to lean against me when we have an entire elevator? (I know you are totally surprised it is me.)

So I say in the nicest voice I can drum up which is asking a lot right now, "Would you mind if I had a little room please?" Look, it was nicer than punching her and somehow it did come out sounding pretty pleasant. I was trying..ok? She kindly apologized and stepped slightly away. I am a fairly touchy person but really...? A stranger in the elevator? not so much.

So i think there should be a list of rules in the elevator. This is obviously an issue. LOL

Elevator Etiquette:

1. Do not touch strangers unnecessarily.

Ok, really that's all I got right now. Feel free to add your own. (And yes I see the future repercussions of limiting human contact in yet another formal way....I am just saying...use a little judgement ok?)


Also I think they should add a bench. I have nearly passed out in the elevator several times now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't like the whole touching thing, but she had plenty of room NOT TO TOUCH YOU! I think you should also add not CRAMING people into an elevator. I hate it when it is full and 5 more people try to sqeeze in. They can't wait?

Angela said...

wow.. i am glad that you and your baby are okay! I was at risk of pre-eclamsia with my pregnancy, so I read up alot on it also, and I am positive just from what you posted that you did have pre-eclamsia with your first baby but where just never told. I however, was very lucky because my blood pressure never got too high and I went into labor nautrally at 38 1/2 weeks. I pray that everything will go well for you! do you need anything?