Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cool

On Saturday our neighbors were having a sweet sixteen and combined fifteen year birthday for their daughter. They are Hispanic and there is a very cool sounding phrase for this party and I can say it-I learned how, but cannot figure out how to spell it. It just translates to "fifteen year" I think but sounds very cool. Anyway, It had been a long day and I didn't have a gift for her and it looked more and more like I wouldn't be attending. But another neighbor called and was there and wanted me to come over for a bit so I decided to swing by. I had already gotten into comfy clothes so I quickly put my clothes from the day back on and headed over.

I was hugely under dressed to begin with, but really felt that just making it over for a few minutes was all I could do in that moment. As it turns out half of the guests were jsut as under dressed so...

As i arrived at the party house, I tried to store my cell phone in my shirt pocket. I try to always have it with me because that's the first number the NICU calls when they need me regarding my little Cayde. Oddly my two pocketed shirt was pocket less. Huh. It took me a minute of perplexion to realize my shirt was indeed inside out. LOL.

Your mind works quickly in situations like this. Do I go home and fix it? Do I find a dark corner of the yard and quickly turn it right side in? Do I care? In that moment I decided it wasn't worth the effort, so into the party I went with my inside out shirt. I don't know how many people noticed. I told several people. I am good with being the butt of the joke on occasion. We all laughed. One neighbor girl (teenager) noticed and was horrified. I laughed.

The whole thing was interesting to me, because if asked I would say my normal reaction would be what the teens response was. Horror~! To be seen or embarrassed by something like this would be the horror of horrors. I found it quite interesting that it didn't seem to bother me in that moment. Perhaps there are bigger things on my plate to worry about something like that? Perhaps a disregard for the prideful nature I have often times found myself in is setting in. Perhaps I just wanted to enjoy a bit of humor at a time I so desperately need it.

I was going to say that - You know you aren't cool anymore when you show up to a party with your shirt inside out.

But after putting this story into words I am thinking - I think it's pretty cool when people can laugh at themselves and avoid some of the stresses that can come with worrying about being embarrassed. Very few times in my life have I found myself in this camp. I generally sit in the worry about being embarrassed camp. This one was much more pleasant. I hope to revisit it a bit more frequently. That camp is more fun.

No comments: