Saturday, January 3, 2009

What a month!

Here's the readers digest version.

Washer stopped agitating; We got two more kids from CYFD; The two new kids went home; Microwave started creating little fires each time it was turned on, figured that wasn't good-moved it outside so I would stop using it; tv went on the blink (we just have one); Computer died; got a new washer and dryer (new to us); got a new microwave (lack of fire in appliances is generally a good sign.) Wayne's Grandma died; We packed up Christmas and took it to Blanding, Utah; Did Santa for the first time for Allori, as Wayne's family does it and well Santa couldn't really visit some of the kids and not the others right?; Funeral related activities including viewing (which still throws me off guard just a bit-in my family we do not do that at all. There is no checking out the dead body. And certainly no kissing it-a phenomenon I cannot comprehend, and also lots of reminiscing about grandma and hearing stories of her life. This was truly enjoyable as I really loved and admired her.); I pulled the kids around the Blanding streets-they were on sleds, I was on my brother in law, Ryan's four wheeler. This is a tremendous amount of fun. I even got Taya, my dog to hop on the four wheeler with me. Sherah ran next to it and kept up at 18-20 mph without over exerting herself; Issy got way sick and was excreting green goop from most orifices on his face. 2 ear infections and a sinus infection. He got an antibiotic shot and an Rx for a strong antibiotic, along with some eye drops which he seemed to think he was being put to death every time I put them in and screamed loud enough to alert everyone on the block; Packed up and trekked home; Within moments of walking in the door and seeing Allori burst into tears and inquiring, she said, "I just missed this house!" Boy am I glad she feels safe and good in our home. I love her so much!; Wayne kind of got one of the computers working again. Thank you love!; Issy's dad freaked out about Issy not being taken to the Dr sooner (apparently I should be Able to foresee him getting sick and take him in so the Dr can psychically tell us what medicine he will need. That would actually be pretty cool..but alas I have let my subscription to psychics Weekly lapse; My brother in law, Craig came down to work Luminarias with Wayne and their other brother, Adam; We had some friends over; Learned a new game (thanks Craig); And a partridge on a pear tree.

I don't know what that means but it seemed like a good way to end. As you can see it has been tremendously eventful. Several of these thing probably deserve a post of their own, but I just don't see playing catch up in the near future game plan.

Wayne's family does Christmas VERY differently than my family does, than I do. So although it was fun to be there, it was a reminder about why we generally stay home for Christmas. AS a for-instance....they do not prepare a Christmas eve dinner or a Christmas dinner, or special breakfast. All of which we do. I think the sitting down to eat and preparing the meals together is part of the family togetherness-bonding experience. Otherwise it seems like it really is all about the presents.

This year however I was very different about gift giving. I tried really hard to make gifts meaningful (quality versus quantity) and I reminded myself constantly that the reason we give gifts is a reminder of the greatest gift we have been given....Jesus Christ and the Atonement.

I hope each of you had a magical Christmas and a fun new year. I learned this year that New Years day is one of the days you are supposed to fly your flag-if you have one. So I flew mine. It's one of my favorite things that I have. A reminder of the blessing it is to live in the United States of America!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Not about this post (though I loved the quick "readers digest" version)... but.....

Can I tell you how grateful I am that you took the time to give me so much advice? THANK YOU THANK YOU! SOOO much easier to gain from what friends know than to figure out this motherhood thing on my own.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks. Hope all is going well with the new kids and you've caught up from half of your stuff breaking down. lol always something.