Friday, December 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Jena!

We recently attended Jena's birthday party. She is three now! It was very fun. We were of course the only white people there and the only people other than Jena, Juliana and one other lady (and their dad a little) who spoke English. EVERYONE was watching us all night...I guess "the foster parents" were intriguing...? Jena's dad went all out. He had invites printed well in advance, had one of those big jumping things, a massive cake, a big traditional Mexican feast, pinata, etc. Jena, however was not interested in a thing. She only wanted Wayne or I which (selfishly) was wonderful, for the entire evening. We were very clear when she was making the transition home that she woudl no longer live with us but would be able to visit. So lots of times when they visit, Juliana also very clearly says, we came to VISIT you. Well at Jena's party she kept saying, "I want to come SLEEP at your house." She put all of her emphasis on SLEEP so I woudl know she didn't want to just come for a visit. I am far...FAR stricter than her dad. Of course they hated it when they were here, but I suppose it's right what they say...children need that stability. One thing I have noticed, being a strict parent, is that it really shows the children that you have expectations of them. most of the biological parents we have worked with have little or no expectations of their children. I think it shows them we lvoe and trust them to be good people when we have expectations of them. Anyway...happy birthday Jena! We miss you! Doesn't Wayne make a great princess? ;)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love pictures!!!

KCordell said...

The girls look beautiful. I think you're right about being strick. I'm not super strick but I've found that rules and boundaries always makes Pierce behave better. I think most people are drawn towards people that challenge them because it makes you want to be a better person, which also makes you happier.